Truck project, any suggestions?

The place to put interesting pics and videos, shooting and non-shooting items that will be of interest to everyone.
slade797

Truck project, any suggestions?

Post by slade797 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Some of you may know that I crashed my 1994 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Diesel pickup a few months ago. I've been holding off people who want to buy the engine and so on since then, looking for a suitable truck to swap the engine into.

Poor thing. Breaks my heart.

Anyway, awhile back my brother went to a bank auction for me to bid on a 1989 Chevy Sierra, a short wheelbase pickup that had been repossessed sans engine and transmission. He didn't win, some guy outbid us. Long story short, he didn't pay after several weeks and I got the truck! I think it's going to be SWEET with that black-smoker in the engine compartment:

I'm think gunmetal grey with some black pinstripes, lower it some. Don't know if I'm going to leave the roll pan on the back, or stick a bumper on it. Have to get a radiator, slick-looking grille.... any suggestion, y'all?
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:47 pm

When I need car customization advice, I always throw a Mad Max movie in the DVD player.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

slade797

Post by slade797 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Hairy78 wrote:When I need car customization advice, I always throw a Mad Max movie in the DVD player.

I don't own a chainsaw.... reckon I could rent one, though.
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Any updates on the project?

slade797

Post by slade797 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:35 pm

S Lance wrote:Any updates on the project?
Yeah, some movement here.

- My fiancee picked out the color. We were driving along and I asked her for a suggestion, and she immediately pointed to a Nissan Altima and said, "THAT color!" Turns out it's dark slate, a kind of gunmetal grey:

Doesn't hurt that we own two Nissans, a 1997 Altima GXE and a 2001 Atima 2.5 S, nor that I LOVE that frickin' color!

- I was at the courthouse a couple of months ago, helping my Momz transfer and obtain tags for her Honda Odyssey and I asked the cler about a particular tag, a vanity plate. "Why, yes, that's available," she said. "Would you like to order the vanity plate reading 'AK-47' for your vehicle?" WOULD I? Of course! So, I have that going for me.

- Trying to figure out how to handle the title issue, as I will be using the wiring harness and dash from my old truck, and thus the VIN plate. The people in the rebuilt section in Frankfort tell me that they license by the VIN on the frame and the one on the dash. I want to avoid a rebuilt title, just need to figure how to remain legal and keep a clear title. Kind of stupid that I have two clear titles, and I might end up with a rebuilt brand.

- Seats are going to be leather, from a Cadillac. How sweet is that?
- Harlan Ellison

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:52 pm

"AK 47" on a vanity plate would be awesome!:D

slade797

Post by slade797 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:03 pm

S Lance wrote:"AK 47" on a vanity plate would be awesome!:D
When I asked about it, the deputy clerk told me, "Looks like someone had it at one time, but they never renewed it. You want to swipe it?"

Of course I swiped it. My plate is at the courthouse, awaiting the resoltion of my title dilemma. :)
- Harlan Ellison