BCP's new toy

The place to put interesting pics and videos, shooting and non-shooting items that will be of interest to everyone.
MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:05 am

S Lance wrote:If you go to the ContourHD's web page, there are numerous videos produced by the camera being mounted on dirtbikes. Check it out and decide for yourself.

I think the issue with electronics on firearms is due to the amount of acceleration the firearm produces during recoil. I'm rusty on my physics, but I'd guess that a firearm recoiling produces a lot greater acceleration than that produced by the motorcycle as measured at the handlebars where the camera will be mounted. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, somebody will be along shortly to correct me.:)
I'm mainly trying to compare the feel between the two, which I think is all about acceleration. When I hit a surprise ditch going 35 mph and my suspension bottoms out, the force that is felt is much higher than any .223 rifle. My large mass (in comparison to a rifle) stopping and changing directions almost instantly with only the deformations of the steel frame acting as the suspension generates a LOT of force. The camera's saving grace would be its much lower mass, but it still has to change directions in a heartbeat in such a case. I can't imagine that a rifle accelerates faster than that. Sure the bullet accelerates quickly, but I'd be shocked if the rifle accelerated faster than a bike bottoming out on the suspension.

I can't find the dirt bike video, but the key to dirt bike riding is smoothness. The rider won't get shaken a whole lot, the frame of the bike shouldn't see too much acceleration changes if the rider does their job well and the suspension never bottoms out, but the suspension will take a beating. So if the camera in the dirt bike video is mounted to the rider, it doesn't see a whole lot of acceleration, and the video can actually be kind of boring because you don't get to FEEL the ride that much through the lens of the camera. If the camera is mounted to the bike it will see more acceleration and the viewer of the video gets to "feel" the ride when you watch it.

That's how my mind breaks it down, anyway. :D

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:06 am

st33ve0 wrote:Sounds good, I'll PM you my info and work on a decent camera mount. Any camera with a standard tripod mount should work on it and I can probably get a really nice thumb/hand screw on mcmaster.com :)

Package with two ARMS mounts is inbound to you USPS.

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:38 pm

S Lance wrote:Package with two ARMS mounts is inbound to you USPS.
Got them last night. It should be fine on the smaller mount [#17S] unless you want one made for the ACOG mount. Interestingly enough the screws I picked up for the knife design I'm prototyping fit it perfectly. Just need them a bit longer and a tapped piece of metal with the right bend and channel and I'm all set for a camera mount.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 pm

st33ve0 wrote:Got them last night. It should be fine on the smaller mount [#17S] unless you want one made for the ACOG mount. Interestingly enough the screws I picked up for the knife design I'm prototyping fit it perfectly. Just need them a bit longer and a tapped piece of metal with the right bend and channel and I'm all set for a camera mount.

Use the mount that you think works best. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 pm

S Lance wrote:Use the mount that you think works best. I look forward to seeing the finished product.
I'm going to make a couple so I can send one back to you and I'll buy one of the mounts for myself and use it :D

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Update: Here's what I'm thinking of so far. Add a 90 degree bend at the green line and some foam tape on either side of the channel and it should be good to go.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 pm

st33ve0 wrote:Update: Here's what I'm thinking of so far. Add a 90 degree bend at the green line and some foam tape on either side of the channel and it should be good to go.

Any photos of the prototype yet?;)

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Not yet, been out of town with family for Thanksgiving and working on a knife too, but I'll start on something simple this week to make sure I like it before CNC machining something.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 pm

st33ve0 wrote:Not yet, been out of town with family for Thanksgiving and working on a knife too, but I'll start on something simple this week to make sure I like it before CNC machining something.
I hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

No rush at all on the mount. Take your time.