BCP's new toy

The place to put interesting pics and videos, shooting and non-shooting items that will be of interest to everyone.
S Lance
Forum Administrator

BCP's new toy and a little video

Post by S Lance » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:10 pm

:)BCP brought out something new today.

And here is an attempt at a POV video taken during my PCC run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsa71VIZrU

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:56 am

That's pretty darn cool. Would you mind posting some pics of your POV camera mount? I've seen some interesting methods of mounting a camera on there.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:25 pm

st33ve0 wrote:That's pretty darn cool. Would you mind posting some pics of your POV camera mount? I've seen some interesting methods of mounting a camera on there.
The camera mount is in two parts. I cut up an old ARMS mount and attached the "base" to it so that I can easily take it off my rail. The camera part of the mount attaches to it with a velcro pad. The setup works okay, but I'm going to experiment with a headband mount so the field of view won't be so limited. Another problem with the gun mount is that the muzzle blast distorts the picture and I suspect it beats up the camera. It isn't too bad with the 9mm rifle, but I can see a problem with something more powerful. I did a run with Steve's SCAR (sweet gun btw) and the camera went into error mode so I didn't capture any video. I'm betting the blast from the brake put the camera in shutdown mode.

Anyway, here are some pics of the mount and camera. I hope to experiment with it some this winter.

Oh, and did I mention how awesome Steve's SCAR is?:)

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Very neat, if you tell me how far apart those screw holes are I'll see if I can bend you up some metal in the shop and drill the holes for it and then you can use a 1/4-20 screw to screw into the base of the camera [assuming it has the standard tripod mount]. Should be a bit more secure.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:16 pm

st33ve0 wrote:Very neat, if you tell me how far apart those screw holes are I'll see if I can bend you up some metal in the shop and drill the holes for it and then you can use a 1/4-20 screw to screw into the base of the camera [assuming it has the standard tripod mount]. Should be a bit more secure.
I appreciate the offer and you'd think that the camera would have a standard tripod mount, but it actually doesn't work that way at all. The camera has two grooves along both sides that accepts the male portion of the mount. This attaches to any of a variety (of ridiculously expensive) female adapters. My camera has no provision for a standard tripod mount although one is available as an attachment. I believe the new 1080p version might have a tripod mount built in. If I get more serious about the camera, I might contact you about fabricating something a bit more sturdy.

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 pm

S Lance wrote:I appreciate the offer and you'd think that the camera would have a standard tripod mount, but it actually doesn't work that way at all. The camera has two grooves along both sides that accepts the male portion of the mount. This attaches to any of a variety (of ridiculously expensive) female adapters. My camera has no provision for a standard tripod mount although one is available as an attachment. I believe the new 1080p version might have a tripod mount built in. If I get more serious about the camera, I might contact you about fabricating something a bit more sturdy.
Sounds good, I've been wanting to work up something tougher for a camera mount out of an ARMS or LT QD mount.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:36 pm

st33ve0 wrote:Sounds good, I've been wanting to work up something tougher for a camera mount out of an ARMS or LT QD mount.
PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple of spare ARMS mounts. I have a 17S and 19S you can play with. Just send them back when you're done. (Or send me one of those fancy tomahawks that cuts fingers and you can have the mounts.;)) If you won't take the bait on the blade, make me a spare camera mount once you get the design down and we'll call it even.;)

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Here's another style I've seen that used a video capable digital camera from the Florida Defensive Carbine Club [FDCC]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cI2JHhcZAg

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:41 pm

S Lance wrote:PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple of spare ARMS mounts. I have a 17S and 19S you can play with. Just send them back when you're done. (Or send me one of those fancy tomahawks that cuts fingers and you can have the mounts.;)) If you won't take the bait on the blade, make me a spare camera mount once you get the design down and we'll call it even.;)
Sounds good, I'll PM you my info and work on a decent camera mount. Any camera with a standard tripod mount should work on it and I can probably get a really nice thumb/hand screw on mcmaster.com :)

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 pm

S Lance, if you want me to ship it for you, drop it off sometime, I ship to Steve regularly, and will cover the UPS.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................