BCP's new toy

The place to put interesting pics and videos, shooting and non-shooting items that will be of interest to everyone.
S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:50 pm

st33ve0 wrote:Here's another style I've seen that used a video capable digital camera from the Florida Defensive Carbine Club [FDCC]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cI2JHhcZAg
Wow, imagine dragging that thing around shooting PCC. I think Jason should have TWO of them mounted on his rifle.:D

MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Very cool video. And very cool rifle.

Does your camera use a hard drive or mini-DVD or anything mechanical to record? If yes, you don't want to subject it to too much sudden movements or vibrations. Solid state cameras are the way to go for fixing them to moving objects.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 pm

MaverickH1 wrote:Very cool video. And very cool rifle.

Does your camera use a hard drive or mini-DVD or anything mechanical to record? If yes, you don't want to subject it to too much sudden movements or vibrations. Solid state cameras are the way to go for fixing them to moving objects.
The camera is solid state. It uses MicroSD cards which seem to work alright. With enough recoil, the springs that hold the battery to the contacts might weaken but so far, so good. Additionally, it really needs some type of protection for the lens. It is to bad that there is no provision for a screw in filter which could be replaced periodically. Overall the camera isn't bad, and it isn't particularyly expensive, so when I eventually kill it, I'll just get a new one.

One advantage to the camera's mounting system is that is probably does provide some shock isolation due to the velcro mounting pad.

MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:29 am

Damn! I was hoping it wasn't solid state. I need a camera that can take a little abuse, and was hoping the old Hard Disk camera would be the main/only culprit.

I may have to resort to mostly tripod mounts.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:30 am

S Lance wrote:The camera is solid state. It uses MicroSD cards which seem to work alright. With enough recoil, the springs that hold the battery to the contacts might weaken but so far, so good. Additionally, it really needs some type of protection for the lens. It is to bad that there is no provision for a screw in filter which could be replaced periodically. Overall the camera isn't bad, and it isn't particularyly expensive, so when I eventually kill it, I'll just get a new one.

One advantage to the camera's mounting system is that is probably does provide some shock isolation due to the velcro mounting pad.
Actually, there will be next month. Available in December will be a lens kit with a replacement ring that will accept 37 mm filters.

Lens Kit $29.00
"The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."- Bob Lemon

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am

Nice find bigdaddy! The filter wasn't available when I got my camera. I'll have to poke around the net and see what other goodies might be available.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

MaverickH1 wrote:Damn! I was hoping it wasn't solid state. I need a camera that can take a little abuse, and was hoping the old Hard Disk camera would be the main/only culprit.

I may have to resort to mostly tripod mounts.
Don't let my comments scare you aware. The camera isn't bad, I just don't think it is ideal for gun mounting. I'm betting that by using a headband mount, most of the issues will go away. It also isn't all that expensive compared to the midrange priced cameras. I agree with you that a hard disk camera likely wouldn't survive the abuse.

MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:52 pm

Well, if it can't handle the acceleration from the recoil of a "low caliber" rifle, I doubt it could handle being attached to my motorcycle while on an off road trip. Or I'll just have to try to figure a way to buffer it further.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:05 pm

MaverickH1 wrote:Well, if it can't handle the acceleration from the recoil of a "low caliber" rifle, I doubt it could handle being attached to my motorcycle while on an off road trip. Or I'll just have to try to figure a way to buffer it further.
If you go to the ContourHD's web page, there are numerous videos produced by the camera being mounted on dirtbikes. Check it out and decide for yourself.

I think the issue with electronics on firearms is due to the amount of acceleration the firearm produces during recoil. I'm rusty on my physics, but I'd guess that a firearm recoiling produces a lot greater acceleration than that produced by the motorcycle as measured at the handlebars where the camera will be mounted. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, somebody will be along shortly to correct me.:)

st33ve0

Post by st33ve0 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:13 pm

S Lance wrote:If you go to the ContourHD's web page, there are numerous videos produced by the camera being mounted on dirtbikes. Check it out and decide for yourself.

I think the issue with electronics on firearms is due to the amount of acceleration the firearm produces during recoil. I'm rusty on my physics, but I'd guess that a firearm recoiling produces a lot greater acceleration than that produced by the motorcycle as measured at the handlebars where the camera will be mounted. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, somebody will be along shortly to correct me.:)
Some of it probably has to do with the overpressure too.