Discussion of possible format change

General stuff for general folks
Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 am

Most USPSA clubs have moved to a 6 or more stage monthly match with only one division being shot.

This section is for discussion on the club moving to this type of format or staying with the current format.

Feel free to weigh in, make your feelings known, comment or ask questions.

This is your opportunity to stear the direction of the club.

I hope I don't have to remind everyone to be respectful of others.

If you prefer not to have your comments or feelings known feel free to email your comments to me at kygunworks@hotmail.com

And go.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:47 am

I am for moving to the new format, of 6 stages.

There are several reasons for this:

1. It will get folks off the range earlier than we are currently able to do.

2. It will be much easier for Robert to register and get folks in squads when he only has to do it one time. This along with getting folks to send an e-mail and pre-register will help get us started on time.

3. It will allow more time for those who wish to do rifle (RCC/PCC) and still be able to get off the range at a reasonable time.

4. We are the only club that I am aware of that shoots this format and it is one of the reasons others will not travel to our club to shoot.

5. It will allow us to shoot 6 different stages not repeating on stages we have already shot.

6. Having more stages will allow us to have smaller squads which will also get us off the range quicker.

7. Time permitting, a person who wishes to shoot through again can still do so as a re-shoot. They could be in a squad with the rifle shooters or if there is enough re-shoot folks form their own squad.

8. During the winter we would probably cut back to 4 stages due to daylight and potential weather conditions.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 pm

I agree we need to do something to speed things up, however, I don't have a good solution other than going to six stages and shoot through once.

I'm in, let's give it a try.
"The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."- Bob Lemon

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm flexible with whatever. I'd like to preserve the ability to run it with a rifle if I ever get a chance to shoot a match again.

creekerdoug

Post by creekerdoug » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 pm

As a non club member attendee I'm OK with 4 or 6 stages but I sure do enjoy the carbine matches. If I could only through once I'd probably leave the pistol home and bring a rifle. Getting to use both guns is a huge bonus.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:39 pm

And that is one of the advantages of finishing early. More time to do rifle or other things.
Resistance is mandatory.

bcp307

Post by bcp307 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm

If I remember correctly we started about 11:30 last Sunday. Shooting 4 plus 4 (rifle on the second for me) non stop , we finished about 3:30 that's about 4 hours for 8 stages. (30 minutes per stage)

If we go with 6 stages that would be about 3 hours ( 30 minutes X 6 = 3 hours) If we add another 6 stages shooting a pistol or rifle the second time, that's another 3 hours. Total time 6 hours.

Also consider the temperature. In July at 90-95 degrees shooting for 6 hours for some of us, that is going to be tough.

Starting at 11:30 and shooting 12 stages, that's 5:30 ending time. Too long of a day.

If we go to 6 stages, a lot of people will shoot 6 and go home. And in the summer, I would probably be one of them.

The format we have now affords more flexibility and we don't have to stay on the range for 6 hours.

The pre registration that we all should be doing will help on the start time and help Robert too. But with 6 stages plus 6, it still would equal approximately 6 hours.

Considering the round counts etc for USPSA stages, I feel the above times reflect a reasonable amount of time to shoot thru a stage.

We still have plenty of time to discuss the proposal. More comments from other shooters are needed.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:43 am

I hear what your saying Steve, but consider this.

If you shoot twice, as we have done for a long time, you shoot 8 stages. Four pistol + four pistol. Then if you choose to shoot rifle you shoot four stages again. This totals out to 12 stages. This was the normal way we shot rifle for quite some time now. The same way we have treated the "mixed bag" shooters.

What some of the rifle shooters have been doing is skipping the second run through and just doing a rifle run. That scenario equals four pistol + four rifle for a total of eight stages.

While this is certainly a viable solution to finishing earlier, it is a deviation from what we have traditionally done.

Under the proposal, those who do not want to shoot rifle will be finished and out earlier than normal. Those who choose to shoot rifle will be shooting the same total number of stages as we have traditionally done.

I will probably get back to shooting rifle, assuming we can still get ammo, but the rifle shooters normally number around 8-10. The number of pistol shooters is averaging around 40 give or take a few.

The majority of the shooters, about 3/4, will benefit from the proposed format change. The 8-10 rifle shooters will be shooting the same total number of stages as we have traditionally done by not skipping the second run with the pistol.

Just more food for thought.
Resistance is mandatory.

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:36 pm

Give the six stages a try
if its a flop go back :)

AdamBirkhimer

Post by AdamBirkhimer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Go with six stages, It works at the Circleville matches.