Steel Challenge Matches

General stuff for general folks
Gary Stevens

Steel Challenge Matches

Post by Gary Stevens » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Just asking for general information. Is there any interest in Steel Challenge Matches at our club?

Using our plate rack, we could add 4-5 actual Steel Challenge stages and have a 5-6 stage match. I was thinking of once a quarter.

These things are not cheap, and would require participation to let the club, at some point, recoup the initial cost.

The nice thing of these are you can use center fire pistol, rim fire pistol, or rim fire rifle.

A normal practice is to make 4 runs per stage and drop the high time. Since they are steel, there is no reset other than paint between shooters. Each stage should run about as fast for 4 runs as a normal USPSA stage does for 1 run including reset.

Making reruns with different guns provides for a lot of shooting in one day.

It really provides a very flexible platform and also allows younger and older shooters a place to play.

Your thoughts?

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Re: Steel Challenge Matches

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:21 pm

I loved shooting steel at Circleville...just ended up being too long of a drive just for it.

Heck it's the main reason I bought a Ruger Mark III was to do a second run with rimefire for free.

creekerdoug

Post by creekerdoug » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:03 pm

I like shooting stuff. I would do this and I think once a quarter is probably the right schedule.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:14 pm

There is set up to consider. With all of our other shooting activities I think this schedule would keep interest up and not put too much extra work in the set up.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Since the stages are already made up and are straight forward, aside from a bit of measuring, it wouldn't take anytime at all to setup.

We might be able to get some newer shooters that are not familiar with movement yet. It'd give them plenty of trigger time and drawing without worrying about reloads.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:00 am

I suspect it will still take a fair amount of time. The measuring of 4-5 stages, carrying the stands and steel, and positioning them on the ranges will take longer than one thinks. However, only doing it once a quarter shouldn't be something we can't handle.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:47 pm

One much wiser than I pointed out that we might do this, if we do it, opposite IDPA months, but still on a quarterly basis.

That would mean:

March
May
July
November (scheduled around the Rifle Match)

AdamBirkhimer

Post by AdamBirkhimer » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 am

Steel Challenge match would be great,

Fate0n3

Post by Fate0n3 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:32 am

I def agree would love to shoot a few steel matches.