IDPA Back Up Gun (BUG) match, April 19

General stuff for general folks
Wlktheduk

IDPA Back Up Gun (BUG) match, April 19

Post by Wlktheduk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:00 pm

The "Usual Suspects" have been discussing the new Back Up Gun (BUG) division in IDPA, and are going to try something different for the April 19 IDPA Match at Ashland Gun Club.
The match will be designed around using a Back Up Gun, with BUG-friendly stages. :confused:

What's a Back Up Gun? According to the latest IDPA rulebook, there are two sub-categories for this division.
Semi-Automatic (BUG-S) 3.60 barrel or less, .380ACP minimum, magazine extends no more then 1" below grip frame, loaded at start with 6 rounds maximum (1 chambered, 5 in magazine) spare magazine with 6 rounds. 29 ounces w/empty magazine
Revolver (BUG-R) 3" barrel or less, .38 special minimum, maximum of 6 rounds in cylinder. 38 ounces empty

Stages will have strings of fire with 5 (or less) scored rounds, to make a place for the J-frame revolver (5-shot) or the Ruger LCP/KelTec P3AT pocket blasters. :D
A stage CAN have more then one string of fire.

Right now, we are looking at NOT having requiring holster draws, with all starts from ready pistol, briefcase, table top, drawer, under a pillow, gun bag, etc...
BUT, if you have a safe holster (covered trigger guard, belt carry) there may be a stage where you will get to chose between drawing, or grabbing your pistol off the table top...

There will be one stage requiring a reload on the clock. That stage will only have 10 scored rounds, so a J-frame can still play. Only one spare speedloader (or magazine for Semi-automatic's) will be needed. Of course, you can also use loose rounds or speed strips for the wheelgunners.
Spare magazines/speedloaders will be staged on the table, behind cover, in the drawer, etc, so you won't need mag or speedloader pouches specifically for your Back Up Gun.

Round count should be over 50 and under 100 (to be decided later)
Targets should be big and close (but not always :D )

Wlktheduk

Re: IDPA Back Up Gun (BUG) match, April 19

Post by Wlktheduk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:10 pm

Question: What if I do not have a Back Up Gun, as defined by IDPA?
Question: What if I want to shoot the match with my normal IDPA SSP/ESP/CDP/CCP/REV gun?

Come on out anyway and shoot the stages with whatever you've got (that's IDPA legal)
You'll shoot the stages according to the stage briefing, just like the BUG's will, but your scores will be listed by the division your equipment puts you into.

creekerdoug

Post by creekerdoug » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:48 pm

I have shot BUG stages but never a BUG match. The BUG stages I've shot were a lot of fun and honestly when I carry in real life I don't carry a Glock 34...

This will be a good opportunity to shoot what you actually carry. ;)

Gary1911A1

Post by Gary1911A1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:25 am

Could be an note resting match. Guess I'll come, but still don't know what I'll shoot. :confused:

bwilson

Post by bwilson » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:17 pm

Any interest in a second run with shotguns? Low round counts and single shot targets would lend themselves to other guns we all have, and don't shoot enough.

If anyone doesn't own the ubiquitous scattergun(you should), I'm more than willing to share my 870, just bring a box of birdshot.

Wlktheduk

Post by Wlktheduk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Provided you (BW) have an idea of how to score the stages, this sounds like it could be "fun"
I'll have my scattergun with me, so you won't be the Lone Ranger. ;)

bwilson

Post by bwilson » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:19 pm

I'm thinking time + penalties, with any hit as a down 0. Now if there is considerable interest, I found a full set of IDPA-ish shotgun rules courtesy of the NW FL gun club:

Divisions

Auto-Any self loading shotgun.
Manual- Any pump, side by side, lever, break action, bolt, or other manually actuated shotgun.
II. Equipment Rules

Shotguns may have any kind of non-optical sight. Red dot or scopes are expressly prohibited. Permitted types of sights included:
Ghostrings
Conventional notch and post, with or without light gathering elements.
Bead or tru-glow sights
Shotguns may carry extra ammunition. Shotguns may use speed feed stocks, butt-cuff ammunition holders, or side saddle holders. Other gun mounted ammunition carrying devices may be used at the Match Director's discretion. The use of speed loaders is expressly prohibited.
Shotguns may have flashlights on the gun. Lasers are expressly prohibited.
Shooters may carry extra shells in pockets, or in a pouch. The pouch must be something that would be carried in the real world. If it not something you would consider carrying in the real world you should not use it in Defensive Shotgun competition.
Shooter may employ a handgun during the course of Defensive Shotgun matches if the C.O.F. stipulates it. The handgun and related equipment will comply with IDPA rules.
Magazines must not extend more than 1 inch past the muzzle.
Maximum capacity for both divisions, is 8+1 Higher capacity tubes may be used as long as they don't violate Rule II-F. above, but they may not be loaded with more than 8 rounds.
III. Ammunition. Shotgun ammo must be either 12 or 20 gauge. There are three types of ammunition used in Defensive Shotgun Matches. Lead shot and slugs only. No steel shot will be permitted.
Buckshot - 00 only Use of buckshot should be kept to a minimum due to scoring issues and cost.
Slug - Hunting or Law Enforcement style, or round "pumpkin" ball
Birdshot - used for steel and other reactive targets. (No steel shot, nor anything larger than #4 birdshot.)
IV. Targets and Scoring. Defensive Shotgun Matches will be scored using a modified Vickers type scoring. Targets may be paper or reactive type such as clay pigeons, falling steel plates, or balloons.
Modified meaning; Shotgun points are added as whole points, while pistol count as half, as in normal pistol competition. For example, a -1 with a slug would count as a full second, vs. -.5 second if shot by a handgun. If a shooter chooses to engage a target with slugs only 1 will be required, per paper, and any hit will be considered to neutralize the target. Where if a shooter chooses to engage with a handgun, 2 shots will be required and normal IDPA FTN will apply.
On targets engaged with buckshot, a minimum of six pellets must be inside the -0 zone. Shooters may engage a target with multiple rounds of buckshot to ensure six pellets hit the -0. Buckshot targets will be scored as "Neutralized or Not Neutralized"
NOTE: to ease in scoring, Paper plates or cardboard cut-outs may be used to cover the -0 zone and save on tape.
Any IDPA cardboard targets shot with birdshot will be scored as "Not Neutralized" unless it is a non threat target.
Paper or steel targets may be used to designate non hostile participants. These "Hostage" or "Non Threat" targets are scored as a 10 second penalty. A single slug or shot perforation will count as a hit on a non threat. A hole caused by the wad will not. The Safety Officer is the final judge whether or not a hole in a non-threat was caused by a wad or projectile.
Note: Non-threats will be identified by the following means:
Steel: by color designated in the COF.
Paper: same as IDPA rules
Reactive targets will be engaged with birdshot only. A reactive target will be scored as "neutralized" or "not neutralized", with -0 or -10 being issued based on the hit. Steel engaged with slugs will result in a DQ from the match.
V. Course of Fire Rationale:

Stages will be representative of a real world defensive situation or a test of relevant shotgun skills. For reasons of economy and ease of scoring, there are no limits of the use of steel. Use of hostage targets should be kept to a rational limit and should not be placed behind the -0 zone of a threat target, though the peripheral areas of the target are fair game.
**"The rational limit" is to the MD's taste, though the non threats should not outnumber the threat targets in a stage.**
The maximum amount of rounds in a given string in a stage will be limited to 12.
The COF description will specify which ammunition will be used in a given stage. Often, slugs may be used on buckshot targets if there is not a safety issue in doing so. This is left open to the MD's discretion.
Shotguns may start with a round chambered, safety on, or in "cruiser ready". (empty chamber, safety on or off) with a maximum of 5 rounds loaded at the start. No slugs will be loaded until required unless on a slug only COF.
Standard starting position is low ready, but the MD may stipulate other positions, such as port arms or having the shotgun located in a rack, automobile trunk, etc.
VI. Competition Rules. The standard IDPA rules regarding movement, use of cover, procedurals, and failure to do right are to be used. There are a few shotgun specific rules.
Reloads: Shooters may top off shotguns to the max allowable capacity, (9 rounds including 1 in the chamber) at their discretion after the start. Shooters are to load behind cover as per IDPA handgun rules. Shooters may not leave loaded ammunition on the ground. If a shooter ejects a shell in order to "select load" the shooter may engage targets from that position before picking up the shotshell, but must retrieve the shell before advancing to another position.
Slugs "will not be loaded" until required by the COF. This means all steel must be engaged from a given location prior to loading a slug or slugs. Failure to follow this procedure will result in a FTDR. The rationale for this is, if it were a blind COF or a real situation, you wouldn't know when you would need a slug, thereby requiring a "select slug" load.
Between stages, shotguns will be carried or slung, if so provided, muzzle down with the actions open.

creekerdoug

Post by creekerdoug » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 am

I had one hell of a good time despite the rain, mud and the pneumonia that I brought with me. My, up to now 100% reliable, S&W J-frame decided to not work. One out of fiverounds would have a light strike on the primer and not go bang. This is a gun I've carried al least a couple of days a week for years. I'm pretty glad I didn't really need it.....

I wouldn't mind seeing more BUG matches in the future but I'm bringing my Glock 26 next time.

Wlktheduk

Post by Wlktheduk » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 am

And the scores have been sent to the webmaster for posting. (I had to wait until some of the score sheets dried out :p )

My thanks to the "Usual Suspect's" for helping with the stages and design ideas: Brian Wilson, Doug Hodges, Steve Sturgill, Jay Bogg's. This way, I cannot be blamed for all the crazy stage ideas!

Despite the weather, I had a fun day at the range. And I hope everyone else involved did to.
And I learned (re-learned) a lesson about what I could and could NOT do with my little guns.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the June IDPA match