Ashamed

General stuff for general folks
hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:53 pm

That homeland security business scares me, too. I love me some Red Dawn, but I don't want to start living on deer hearts and guerilla warfare if I don't have to, y'know what I mean?

...wolverines, man.

I've known a couple of great men that were peace officers, but they treated the job as just that, ensuring the peace. Men who were willing to put their lives on the line for the sake of strangers because that's the job they signed up for, and they realized that living off of tax revenue came with the duty to be responsible to the folks that those taxes were taken from. They weren't in the uniform to generate revenue for dirty local politics, train like SEAL team 6, or view anyone without a badge as a different class of individual than they.

The militarization of the police is something I think the founders of the country would condemn, but given the arguably impossible task of fighting the drug war, it's not hard to see why the police would feel it necessary to engage in an arms and tactics race with cartels and gangs. An interesting side benefit for both the cartels and the police is that they get fantastically larger amounts of money. The downside for us common folk is a police force that's armed to the teeth, the youngest of which seem to take the job terribly seriously, and well-armed criminals who view our cities and neighborhoods like a war zone.

What's the (mostly)peaceful individual to do? I shrug and complain and hope that I can get my family somewhere where there's some liberty left in the event that things go crazy.

That and try to ignore the silent black choppers that follow me everywhere. :o
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:02 pm

I consider my office a fairly safe place to post.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

brucejohnston

Post by brucejohnston » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Gary,

You can shoot one of my Glocks to make you feel better. LOL!

Bruce

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Only if you wrap it in tin foil:D
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

brucejohnston

Post by brucejohnston » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 pm

But then it will show on the x-ray machine. LOL!

Bruce

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 pm

I had always considered you more of a Faraday cage kind of guy. Aluminum foil seems sort of low tech for you.

Hairy78 wrote:I consider my office a fairly safe place to post.