Reloading Equipment???

General stuff for general folks
kfbagt

Reloading Equipment???

Post by kfbagt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm

In case you didn't know, I'm new to shooting. I've been doing some research on reloading but can't figure out what's the best bargain or what I should go with. I'd like to hear what some of you guys do and what you suggest. I will be looking to reload .40 S&W for now. Also, if one of you guys feels sorry for me and would like to make me a good deal on some used equipment I may be interested.

Thanks and I eagerly await your replies..........Paul

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:52 pm

The best overall deal for now and in the future is the Dillon 550. It is a progressive press (one bullet for each pull of the handle) and has the capability to change calibers very quickly if you wish. They come with an optional case feeder which while not necessary is a nice option.

You can check them out at http://www.dillonprecision.com

Oh by the way, they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:27 pm

I would have to agree with Gary. I had a Lee before my 650 and if you get something other than a Dillon you will come to regret it. There are always deals on ebay, gunbroker, and other forums like ar15.com.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 pm

I have to agree with the above. While I'm by no means a volume reloader compared to many on this forum, I've reloaded a fair amount of ammo on a Dillon 550. It is the press that I started out with. It's not too hard for beginners yet it can produce a goodly volume of ammo.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:55 pm

All of the previous posts have had excellent suggestions in them. Dillon is a great company, and their warranty is the best in the business. Plus, if you decide to get into high volume loading, all of your die sets are interchangeable between the different machines. I would start with a 550 or 650, and be planning bench space for a 1050.;)
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Dillon you wont be sorry

robertm

Post by robertm » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm

While I wish I had the cash to invest in a Dillon it was not an option for me.

I ended up with a Lee 1000 for 40 S&W and 9mm I can reload both with the same shell plate adapter and change out is very quick. If you intend to change between more than these then change over will slow.

Lees are not a lifetime warranty but replacement parts are inexpensive.
primer feeder is a bit problematic at best but its usable with care.

If you are very mechanically inclined I think it possible to have good success with a Lee 1000 I can reload 300 rounds in about an hour as long as I don't run into a problem. Its very important to get a good smooth rhythm and learn the places to watch for problems.

While I cant say I would buy a Lee 1000 if I had more resources. I will say for the money it works and can work well, you just need to be ready to deal with the problems.

If you get a Lee don't say I didn't warn you :) When and if I get the money I am sure I will replace the Lee press but at this time I have already broke even on getting the press. So am not completely unhappy with it.

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:20 am

Many have been down that road before and most regret there decision.
Wish you the best of luck with it.

By the way all you have to do is change locator pins on the Dillon and you can swap 9 & 40.

MRB

Post by MRB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:37 am

Dillon for me also. I've had a Square Deal in 45ACP for about 15 years, and it's been a great machine. Money was an issue then (when ain't it), and it is a more economical machine if you are only going to reload one caliber. My next press will be a 550. I have used Dillon's warranty, and it really is as hassle free as they claim.

robertm

Post by robertm » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:53 am

Gunworks wrote:Many have been down that road before and most regret there decision.
Wish you the best of luck with it.

By the way all you have to do is change locator pins on the Dillon and you can swap 9 & 40.
Sense he asked about bargains. And Lee presses looks like bargains. I wanted to be sure he knew about the Lee press. They can work but are problematic. Am not unhappy with it, but would I like to have better sure. I wanted to be sure he was informed if he went bargain hunting. There are some good reviews of the Lee most the good reviews tend to over look just how time consuming they can be if you run into problems. I myself tend to have a few nights a week to myself as my wife works evenings so I have extra time to deal with the press if need be. For warned is always a good thing.