SBR question

General stuff for general folks
Rather-B-Huntin

SBR question

Post by Rather-B-Huntin » Sun May 17, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm not too much in the know about this kinda stuff, and it seems like several of you are.

I wanna buy a Rock River 9mm AR pistol, pay the necessary fees and go thru the proper channels, and turn it into a short barreled rifle. Once the legalities are taken care of, is there anything mechanically preventing me from slipping a buttstock on the gun and doing what I've described? Would the piston tube require replacing? Are the receivers cut in such a way as to prevent this?

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Sun May 17, 2009 8:00 pm

ATF.Gov and go to the NFA section.

Form 1
Subgun.com / Drews page has ATF forms you can fill in and save.

It really dosent mater what you start with but I would engrave the lower before I did anything, that way of it gets messed up you are not left with a worthless piece of aluminum tied to a 200 $ tax stamp.

With many pistol kits or hole AR pistol assemblies you will have to replace the buffer tube as they are set up so they wont accept a stock.

A form 1 will also require a CLEO sig, photos, fingerprints or go with a revocable living trust (no sig, photo or fingerprints required) and you cant take it out of State without submitting the appropriate form.

Rather-B-Huntin

Post by Rather-B-Huntin » Sun May 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Again, I'm stupid in the ways of NFA rules. What purpose does engraving the receiver serve?? To your knowledge, is replacing the buffer tube about the most I'd have to do? I just want to ensure that the lower isn't specially designed to prevent the addtion of a buttstock.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 am

Provided that the pistol runs okay, all you have to do is replace the receiver extension and of course add a stock. Except for being marked "pistol" the RRA pistol receivers are identical to the rifle receivers.

If you do the SBR conversion yourself on a Form 1, you are required to engrave the receiver with your name, city, and state since you are the one "making" the SBR. I've had good luck with Orion Arms doing engraving. There are specific requirements about the location and depth of the engraving which much be observed. I believe that Orion Arms' website has additional information if you are interested.