I fired my XD in self-defense.

General stuff for general folks
slade797

I fired my XD in self-defense.

Post by slade797 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:56 pm

Well, it finally happened. I've been carrying my XD for a bit longer than a year, been glad to have it. Never had to draw, much less fire. I never, ever leave home without it, taking the late great Karl Malden's advice.

The neighbors across the street keep two pitbulls, mainly to show off to people. They let them run in their yard sometimes, and I always keep a weather eye on them. Today, they were not home when one got loose. We tried to reach cops and the dog catcher through non-emergency channels, no luck. I even drove to the police station, nobody home. I made sure my carry gun, and XD9SC, was ready to go, tucked into my IWB holster and shirt tucked behind it for quick access. I'm not prejudiced against its, but these two are VERY agressive.

When I got home from looking for a cop, I saw the old lady ho lives next to the pit bull owners getting into her car. I walked over and asked if she wanted me to close the gate behind her, so she wouldn't have to get out with the animal roaming around. She said she was going to leave the gate open.

As I walked back over, staying on my side of the street, the other, more agressive pit bull started barking. I thought, 'That's going to stir up the one that's loose.' Sure enough, my fiance hollers, "HERE IT COMES!" I turned to face the charging pit bull and drew at the same time, and told the dog to "STOP!" Lucky for me and for him, he did. The chained dog continued to bark, even more agressively. The loose dog continued to bark at me, but didn't lunge or charge.... yet. I started to back off slowly toward home, and the dog followed. It lunged one more time, and I lowered my weapon and fired a single round into the grass. The dog tucked tail and ran home.

I was amazed at how calm I was. I told my fiance' to call 911, and walked into the house. About ten minutes later, someone showed up and knocked on the dog owner's door, then chained up the animal. When the cops showed up 30 minutes later (in their defense, they were pretty far away on another call) I told them flat out that I had fired my weapon, and outlined the situation. He said, "You should have blown it's damn head off." I told him I was worried about firing a weapon inside the city limits, but he said not to worry.

So, did I do right? Should I have killed the dog and made a bigger mess? the cop assured me that he will warn the dog owner. I've had run-ins with the guy before, nothing that required gunplay, though. We'll see how it shakes out.

Damn.... I was charged by a vicious pit bull.
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:37 pm

I think you did fine. You didn't get mauled and everything worked out.

The problem with things like this is you drop the dog and that could lead to another confrontatiion with the owner. While that is not the deciding issue when you are about to get mauled, it should factor in if there are other options such as the shot int he ground.

I told Col. Jeff Cooper, in response to a question he asked, that there were about three things that had a good chance of getting you killed in Eastern Kentucky.

1. Messing with someone's property line.

2. Fencing off someone's road.

3. Messing with someone's hunting dog (or today their Pit Bull).

All things considered, seems things worked out.

Gary
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:27 pm

There was no blood involved in your story, nor did anyone go to jail, so I say that you did just fine.:)

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Good shoot. Glad it all worked out.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

slade797

Post by slade797 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Well, the "man" responsible came over just now. He asked me why i was shooting at his dog. I explained that if I had been shooting at his dog, it would be dead. "I have that dog trained to a gun, and that's why he came at you," he said. I replied, "No, he charged across the street, and I fired into the ground to scare him off me. plain and simple. He said if I want to "keep this up," we can settle it legally. "Go tell it to the cops," I said. "They know exactly what happened." he said he's waiting for them to show up, and I told him to send 'em over; we had a long talk earlier, and they're welcome back any time at all. "You think you're something, walking around here packing a gun...." At this point I told him to shut up and get back across the street. "We're done."
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Damn dude, I was afraid of this escalating. Watch your 6.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

slade797

Post by slade797 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Hairy78 wrote:Damn dude, I was afraid of this escalating. Watch your 6.
That's the plan. :D
- Harlan Ellison