Gate Protocol?

General stuff for general folks
slade797

Gate Protocol?

Post by slade797 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:56 pm

I'm the new guy, so I don't really know what protocol when it comes to the gate. I've been going by the maxim I grew up with, which is "If you find it open, leave it open. If you find it closed, close it after you pass through." For example, I went to the range last week, and the cable was up when I got there. Some other shooters showed up, and when I left the cable was down. Well, I locked it up when I left; I hope I didn't piss anyone off.

Now to the issue: When I went to the range today, the cable was up but it was locked to the handle of the clevis pin. The pin was just stuck through the eyes of the clevis. In other words, all I had to so to get in was yank the pin out. I thought maybe someone was up there shooting, but the place was deserted. I locked up the thing when I left.

So, am I doing right? Should I be locking it up when I leave, regardless? I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, and that's why I am axing.
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:24 pm

I'll leave it to the officers to give you a definite answer, but I'd lock the gate no matter what if I was the last one out.

slade797 wrote:Should I be locking it up when I leave, regardless?

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:37 pm

Yeah obviously if you're the last one out, lock it. If I come to it locked before going up, I typically lock it back since you can hear people coming up the hill...never know the riff-raff anymore coming to steal your stuff.

Then again.........locks keep honest people honest.
:confused:

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:32 pm

Glad this topic came up. Yes if you are the last one out turn off the lights or in this case lock the gate. If other members are on the range let them lock the gate.

Now to the gate. There is a hole in the bottom of the pin. It is for the lock. Put the eye of the cable in the middle of the clevis. Run the pin through the clevis and the eye of the cable so that the pin supports the weight of the cable. Put the lock through the hole in the bottom of the pin. Shazzam.

Hooking the eye of the cable onto the lock at the bottom of the pin only puts undue stress on the lock and makes it damm hard to open.

Rant mode off.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

slade797

Post by slade797 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

Gary Stevens wrote:Glad this topic came up. Yes if you are the last one out turn off the lights or in this case lock the gate. If other members are on the range let them lock the gate.

Now to the gate. There is a hole in the bottom of the pin. It is for the lock. Put the eye of the cable in the middle of the clevis. Run the pin through the clevis and the eye of the cable so that the pin supports the weight of the cable. Put the lock through the hole in the bottom of the pin. Shazzam.

Hooking the eye of the cable onto the lock at the bottom of the pin only puts undue stress on the lock and makes it damm hard to open.

Rant mode off.
See, I think maybe someone didn't understand the mecahnics involved there. The lock was secured to the pin handle and the cable, and the pin was inserted in the clevis.

By the way, if there is any interest in building a gate, I have access to all sorts of steel, and a friend of mine is a welder with his own gear. A snow gate made from 10-inch tempered truck frame would be cool.
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:00 am

Can you make one of those neato ones where you insert a card, fingerprint, and a retinal scan?

slade797

Post by slade797 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:36 am

Bigfoot wrote:Can you make one of those neato ones where you insert a card, fingerprint, and a retinal scan?
For the right money, I can make any kinda scanner.... even a more invasive scanner, if you get my meaning.

By the way, who do I see about reporting a run-in with some wasps on the rifle range? I was trying to co-exist peacefully, but I guess the concussion from my Mini-14 disturbed them so they decided to attack. I came out the victor, with only one sting, but they lost their home. Don't bring none, won't be none!
- Harlan Ellison

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Those wasp probably remember Bill Ruger putting it in our butts to the hilt during the 1994 AWB. They took one look at that Mini-14 and attacked:)

I will say the new Ruger AR-15 piston driven gun is pretty neat. Although I think it looks funny with a full 20 inch barrel and a collapsible stock. Apparently someone at Ruger doesn't subscribe to the old mans opinions about evil black guns.

I really like those sliding gates like North East has. Put your card on the reader and the gate opens. We senior citizens really like that feature;)
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Amazing how some people cant grasp simple mechanics.

We put in a wizbang gate then we have to feed it, not to mention how to allow AEP access.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Just what we need some AEP guy up there stealing our electrical wire! :p