New Gun??

General stuff for general folks
Gary Stevens

New Gun??

Post by Gary Stevens » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:29 pm

I had an opportunity today to look at one of the new SW MP-15's in 5.45x39. Ever since the Ruskies brought out that round I was under the impression it was just a 7.62x39 case necked down to the smaller bullet.

Today I finally looked at one of the rounds and found that it is almost identical to a 5.56. The rifle comes with a C-Products 30 round mag that is marked 5.45x39.

This dealer was selling Wolf for 4.19 per 20 rounds across the counter and had 10 cases on hand. That comes to just over 200 dollars per 1000 rounds. I know Charlie (it smells like cat piss) Brown won't shoot it, but I am thinking anything that lets me put rounds down range more rather than less would be a good thing.

Looks like another toy on the horizon.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 pm

I have been extremely impressed with the 5.45 round. If possible, see if you can find any of the surplus ammo which I think is either 52 or 53 grains. The surplus is corrosive, but that isn't a big deal, at least in the AK74.

I'm very interested in this caliber in the AR platform. In fact, I attempted to buy an upper in this caliber today from AIM and was told that they have no idea when they might get more.

If you get the rifle, shoot me an email and we'll try it out with the Russian and Bulgarian ammo. I have plenty on hand and would like to see how the rifle performs.

Lastly, if it isn't a secret, where is the rifle?

Gary Stevens wrote:I had an opportunity today to look at one of the new SW MP-15's in 5.45x39. Ever since the Ruskies brought out that round I was under the impression it was just a 7.62x39 case necked down to the smaller bullet.

Today I finally looked at one of the rounds and found that it is almost identical to a 5.56. The rifle comes with a C-Products 30 round mag that is marked 5.45x39.

This dealer was selling Wolf for 4.19 per 20 rounds across the counter and had 10 cases on hand. That comes to just over 200 dollars per 1000 rounds. I know Charlie (it smells like cat piss) Brown won't shoot it, but I am thinking anything that lets me put rounds down range more rather than less would be a good thing.

Looks like another toy on the horizon.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:07 pm

It was at Guns, Inc. in Richmond, Kentucky.

Greg had just taken it out of the box while I was standing there. His indication was that he was not having any problems getting Smith and Wesson AR's.

I didn't look at the price, but Greg is a fair dealer and a fellow USPSA/IPSC shooter.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:17 am

I actually will shoot Wolf in an AK-74. It does smell like cat piss, but some how it seems fitting in a nasty commie rifle.:)
"The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."- Bob Lemon

slade797

Post by slade797 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:24 am

I like the looks and pedigree of the new rifle.... is anyone producing this caliber (ammo) here in the US?

If not, I'm sure there are production lines gearing up as we speak.

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Slightly higher than the 223/5.56.

I think Model 1 & M&A are making uppers in both 54 & 39 for the AR lower.

S&W is also selling just the upper in 39.

Biggest problem up to now has been magazine availability and reliability.

But from what I am hearing C Products and P Mag have the reliability issues worked out on the 39s dont know about the 54.

Yes they can be had with auto bolt carriers.