22 suppressor

Talk about your guns and gear here
Chillywig

22 suppressor

Post by Chillywig » Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am

Looking at a gemtech saying clean every 150 or so rounds doesn't sound like much fun. Those of you that have 22 cans do you clean them or just blast away?

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon May 20, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm using the "blast away" approach. I figure that if I fill the can up with crud, the factory can always rebuild it for me.

If you decide to clean, have respect for the toxic sludge inside those things. Also remember that a somewhat dirty can will sound quieter than a sparkly clean one.

YMMV.:)

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

You don't clean the muffler on your car, do you? :D
"The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."- Bob Lemon

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Kind of what I was thinking. Number two came in and considered cleaning one and not worring about the other. Doesn't take long to become a mess...

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

So what did you get?

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 am

Dad picked up the Gemtech outback that day we saw you over in Huntington. We did a side by side comparison of it and a tundra both on ruger 22 lites and was surprised that the 22 can was quieter. I just had a couple come in at D and D. Huntertown arms guardian in 22 but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The gemtech looks better from the outside but being able to take both ends off the huntertown makes it looks easier if I was crazy enough to clean....

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Chillywig wrote:Dad picked up the Gemtech outback that day we saw you over in Huntington. We did a side by side comparison of it and a tundra both on ruger 22 lites and was surprised that the 22 can was quieter. I just had a couple come in at D and D. Huntertown arms guardian in 22 but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The gemtech looks better from the outside but being able to take both ends off the huntertown makes it looks easier if I was crazy enough to clean....
Nice. I hope to pick up an Outback. I agree that trying to push the baffles out without being able to take both ends off seems like a bad idea. That is probably why Gemtech says to clean every 150 rounds. Frankly, I wouldn't ever bother with it...

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 am

Well I did it. After the first range session we were around 150 rounds through the Gemtech. I decided to clean it to see what it was like. I almost gave up taking the thing apart as the baffels didn't wanna come out. Took a little encouragement but they finally did break free. Gemtech suggests using Gunzilla for a CLP so we ordered some. The actually cleaning process isn't much worse than cleaning a gun once the thing is apart. Cleaned with that focusing on the OD of the baffles and can ID then reassambly was like new. So back to the range to experiment to see if the Gunzilla made a difference. Surprisingly the baffles came out much easier despite having a higher round count during this trip to the range. I put the baffels in a little cup and sprayed them with the CLP to soak them gave them a quick wipe and reassembled. With the Huntertown I prelubed it with the Gunzilla and am going to get lots of rounds through it before try to take it part and see.

I did put the can on my savage mark2 fv-sr and discovered what a suppressor can really do. A some point watching videos on youtube someone describe a 22 on a bolt gun as if cocaine made a noise this is what it would sound like. I now understand what he was talking about :D

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed May 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Chillywig wrote:

I did put the can on my savage mark2 fv-sr and discovered what a suppressor can really do. A some point watching videos on youtube someone describe a 22 on a bolt gun as if cocaine made a noise this is what it would sound like. I now understand what he was talking about :D
Impressive isn't it?;)