Smoke in your eye

Talk about your guns and gear here
Chillywig

Smoke in your eye

Post by Chillywig » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 pm

I seem to remember last year at the AR match one shooter using a suppressor and getting to reshoot a stage because so much blow back came out of his SBRed AR he temporarily blinded himself. At the time I wasn't sure how this happened but just had the pleasure of experiencing the same blow back around the charging handle. I have a 16" barrel, carbine length gas system and phantom QD suppressor. Does a shorter barrel or longer gas tube help or is this a great reason to only quiet a piston gas system?

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:03 pm

There are several things you can do, gas buster charging handle, rtv charging handle (homemade gas buster), piston (gas still comes out its just in front of you, can light up your hand and or get in your eyes) or go to a longer barrel.

I get less perceived gas on longer gas systems than shorter.

creekerdoug

Post by creekerdoug » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:13 am

I have an expensive gas buster charging handle that does not work any better than my home made rtv'd charging handle on 16" and 11.5" uppers.

Like Robert I get less blow back on a 20" upper but it's still there. The best solution it to make sure your eye protection is adequate. I've never understood people who cheap out on eye pro.