Safariland Pouches for PCC

Talk about your guns and gear here
S Lance
Forum Administrator

Safariland Pouches for PCC

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Is anybody using these for PCC? If so, what model of pouch? Are you running bullets forward or bullets back? Lastly, are you using Colt/C Product mags with the groove or Uzi mags with a flat back?

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:59 pm

I have been using using Safari Land pouches since the beginning of PCC at our club. I run them bullets forward, and use Colt mags in matches. I am currently testing C Products mags right now with them, and have never had a problem with them.

My only issue with them is how high the mags ride in the pouches. For reloading stages I use 20 and 25 round mags because they are shorter.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks. Are you using the pouches that fit STI mags or one of the other models?

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:39 pm

STI/SV, if you haven't notice, I use my race rig from the pistol divisions.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:43 pm

I guess I haven't paid that much attention. I wasn't sure if you were swapping belts. I'm hoping to carry my mags in a little less of a ghetto fashion this year. It's interesting that you use the STI pouches. I have a couple here and I have to CRAM the mags into the pouches to get them in.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:45 pm

I have no problems with mine, Mitch is using the CR Speed Pouches also, which are almost the same spec. He has never had any problems either.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Interesting. After playing with pouches, I see the issue. I'm running my mags the opposite way, with the front of the mag running against the pouch rollers and you are running them the other way. They fit in the pouch a lot better your way, but I'm used to loading rifles with my mags pointing the other direction on my belt. I might try reducing the circumference of the rollers to see if that helps any.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 pm

Why would you run your rifle mags different than your pistol mags? Bullets forward reduces a lot of movement. I was watching a Magpul, I think, Video on Youtube this morning and they were teaching this also. They were also saying to raise the muzzle to 12:00, so you can see your targets as you watch the mag go in. I don't do this either. With your index finger pointing the mag upward, and with enough dry-fire,practice, the PCC mags reload as smooth as a handgun.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:21 pm

It isn't so much of a problem with the skinny 9mm mags, but I find that I can hold .223 mags MUCH more securely in a "broom handle" or "beer can" grip. I've tried indexing off my index finger with rifle mags, just like my pistol mags, and I don't get nearly the same power or control that way.

That means that for mags I'm wearing on my left side, the bullets point back. To keep the same idea in PCC, I've been putting the mags on my right with the bullets forward to maintain the same grip. I believe Costa covers this grip in the video as well.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

I find that I can not Ham-fist mags like you are talking about accurately. Even FAL mags, I always carry them pointing forward. For larger mags, like M1A's, and FAL's, not AR's, I generally still point with my index finger but the base of the mag is resting more in my palm, than smaller mags. Now, for AK mags I generally apply thr Ham-fisted beer bottle approach, and hope I never have to do a speed load in anger. I would be foooked. I still carry them pointing towards the fight.