Safariland Pouches for PCC

Talk about your guns and gear here
S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Hairy78 wrote:I still carry them pointing towards the fight.
Nice quote, I'll have to remember it. For me at least, changing my grip on the rifle mags was a real eye opener. I've just felt a lot more comortable with a bullets to the back approach. Even if I'm not quite as fast on my good days, I'm much more positive and consistent with this approach and I'm willing to live with the trade-off.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40 pm

Too much wasted movement. Spend an hour trying it my way, and I will bet you will see a time reduction so great, I will be talking you into going back because you are kicking my ass so bad on time in matches.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Alright, my last post of the evening, it's getting late for me.

Here's the scenerio. Rifle pointed on target, hit mag release. Left hand goes straight down to my drop leg carrier. Grab a mag, thumb forward, fingers to the back. Lift the mag straight up and bring the mag to the gun. This is about as straight of a movement as I can imagine, I don't even have to rotate my at my wrist or elbow to do it. Where is the wasted movement?

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:01 am

OK, just played with your method. You are right it has no more wasted movement, but I can't see how you can be as accurate with insertion using your thumb as a guide. At least I can't. Maybe this is a point we will have to agree to disagree on, and rely on what is the most practiced. I generally try to shoot rifles the same way that I shoot pistols, and I have infinitely more practice with pistols. I like my index finger, and if your method works, which I know it does with your results, then you can still be my wingman in any battle. J/K. You can go first and I will have your back.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks for letting me go first...or having my back...or...:rolleyes:

I think you are right in that indexing with your finger is probably a more accurate way to load a rifle and potentially faster if executed perfectly. You're a damned good shooter and I know you can do it, so I have no critism of your technique.

For me however, I've found that I can manage a loaded 30rd magazine much better with the other technique. Indexing with my thumb (more or less) isn't that much slower, probably because no matter which technique you use, it isn't like loading a pistol since you aren't putting your hands together at the end of the reload, there isn't any "hand meet hand" coordination.

The huge advantage my technique offers me is control over the magazine. I'm much less likely to throw the magazine down range (which really slows down those reloads) or fail to seat the magazine and have it fall out of the gun if I use a thumb indexing grip. Personally, I'm willing to give up a little speed for a lot more control, gaming be damned.:)

bcp307

safariland pouches

Post by bcp307 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:39 pm

I have used a Safariland double mag pouch made for the Glock 45/USP45 since I started shooting pcc. It works for MP5 mags as well as Colt mags. It makes it simpler to have the mags in the same place and position (bullets forward) as pistol mags. No need to change gears, just do it the same way. I also use the same method for AR15 mags in a Blade Tech single mag pouch. I have tried the bullet rearward method, it just makes things more complicated.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Good information about the Glock 45 pouches. Thanks.