1911 (style?) advice

Talk about your guns and gear here
hesedmedia

1911 (style?) advice

Post by hesedmedia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:09 am

Ok, I mentioned this in passing when I was in the market for an AR, but now I'm really looking for some advice on the topic. I think I've got my heart set on acquiring a 1911 or 1911-style (like Para) in .45, and I'm looking in the price range of the Taurus pt1911, Rock Island's 1911 Tactical, or, at the outside, a used SA Mil-Spec--circa $500. The Mil-Spec doesn't have a removable front sight, I don't think, and being able to change front sights is a bit of an issue, as my cross-dominance gets me in trouble with the tiny GI sights.

So, first of all, does anyone have any other suggestions for lower-end 1911 copies, or DA designs like the Para? I'd love to find a Griffon, but they're doing the hen's teeth thing. Second, any ideas for finding a pistol like this, beyond gunbroker? Any more gun shows in sight? The Al Hasad temple show didn't really turn up much. Any suggestions appreciated!
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:07 pm

Check with Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection 1-800-387-4045. Not only can you get the gun, but everything else you might need (or want).

Chuck is a major STI distributor and should have one of their Spartan 1911's on hand.

Good gun, right price, and a company that supports USPSA, not that some others don't.

Gary
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

H0tR0d

Post by H0tR0d » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 pm

I own a Taurus PT1911, one of the orginial models, no bull grips, etc. and I've fired over 2600 + rounds through the gun and my first FTF came once I got home a few days ago while doing some hard testing with the pistol. Alot of people complain about the ambi-safety being faulty and falling apart, but mine's had no problems, the gun is rock solid as far as slide to frame fit, the finish is okay, but I rough mine around as it is a user and not a looker. The straight 8 sights are hard to get used to IMO, but they now offer the Novaks' I do believe.

Have fun, 1911's are the greatest thing since white bread.

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm

ohmanohman, Gary, I had no idea STI had anything priced that low... now I'm stretching my budget, but the idea of owning one of those is pretty sweet. I'll call Mr. Bradley tomorrow and see what he can do for me on one. I actually had the number dialed into my phone a few minutes ago before I figured out amidst my excitement that it was 9 p.m.

And I've still got my eye on a PT, it looks like they're about $150-$200 less, and your experience seems to be the rule on them. Either way, the more I read about these guns the more committed I am to getting ahold of one.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:03 pm

So Mike over at SC said it'd be a couple months before they had a spartan in, but i told them to call me when they did. I hope they get them sooner rather than later, I'm chomping at the proverbial bit.

kfbagt

Post by kfbagt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:12 pm

they talked like they had them in stock at dawson precision

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Ok, so I've found a used Springfield "Loaded" in stainless for $540, and I think I'm going to jump on that. It's got less than 1k rounds through it, and at that price, I don't mind replacing the extractor springs, or mag springs or whatnot. That's less than the pt1911 and SC's STI. And even though the STI has that name on the slide, apparently the forged pieces in the springfield are supposed to be significantly better than the MIM pieces on the Armscor.

Anything specific I should ask the seller, other than if any internal mods have been made?

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 pm

If that is a 5 inch gun that is a nice price on the Springfield. You really don't need to ask much, as Springfield has a wonderful customer service reputation.

If it hasn't been dragged behind a truck on a chain, I would be all over that.

If it has only had 1K rounds through it, it is just now getting broken in. The pictures I have seen show a two piece guide rod. If that is true, dump that thing early on and get a one piece guide rod. Eventually that two piece will cause you trouble.

Everyone needs 5 to 10 1911's. This could be your first on that journey.:D
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm sending out my money order today...

There was a bidding war at the last minute, so I 'buy it now' 'ed for 650. But I still think it's a steal, as I've seen the next cheapest one going for 750 and even used ones up to like 930.

Can't wait...

*Edit* oh and here's the link to the gunbroker auction if anyone's interested:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =124756631

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:14 pm

You did fine.

SS and it looks like it has been taken care of.