looking for help

Talk about your guns and gear here
kfbagt

looking for help

Post by kfbagt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 pm

I would like to get a 3.5 pound trigger job done on my glock 35. I am looking for parts advice as well as a gunsmith to do the work. So....whad'ya say??? Also am looking to install new sights as well but I think I could probably handle that myself but if I'm hiring a smith anyway then I may want to pay you for that work as well.

Paul

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:54 am

I did mine myself, it is really not hard and i got the product online. I actually was sent two. We could talk a trade if you like. I put mine on a Glock 34 it works great. I think that the company is Ghost. Send me a email and we will talk.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:56 am

Your G35 should already have a factory installed 3.5lb connector. This brings the actual trigger pull to about 5lbs on most of my pistols. There are a number of aftermarket products which claim to lighten the trigger pull further which you can investigate. In my opinion though, most Glocks are best left basically stock. (I've found grip tape to be helpful.) In my experience, changing parts usually results in a less reliable pistol which may be okay for a purely competition gun, but is a disaster the rest of the time. Money spent on parts is best spent on practice ammo. The trigger pull will smooth out over time.

You can probably install sights yourself. All you need is a padded vice and a punch. I'm fond of the Heine plain black sights on my competition guns, and use Heine Straight 8's on my training and defensive pistols. Others prefer fiber optic front sights. It is all a matter of shooter preference. If you change the front sight yourself, be sure to use loctite!

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:02 pm

My shop time is $45 an hour + parts.

or $25 + parts for sight instilation and $30 + parts for installing an new trigger bar.

Cheaper by the hour unless I run into problems.

kfbagt

Post by kfbagt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Gunworks wrote:My shop time is $45 an hour + parts.

or $25 + parts for sight instilation and $30 + parts for installing an new trigger bar.

where are you located and can you order the parts I need and I buy them from you or would it be better for me to order them on my own?

thanks, Paul

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Should you decide to have your Glock worked on (in spite of my preachy advice:)), Gunworks should be able to get you fixed up with whatever you need.

Gunworks wrote:My shop time is $45 an hour + parts.

kfbagt

Post by kfbagt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:22 pm

well i am trying not to make a bad decision here and if done correctly this wont be a change that can't be undone. The sights I am sure about, i definitely want to change those. The trigger is where I am guessing...from what I have read reducing the slop in the trigger is really more important than the pull weight on my particular gun.

kfbagt

Post by kfbagt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:32 pm

your message is not preachy by the way. I am listening.
Some people have called me ignorant and apethetic...

I tell them I don't know what that means and I don't care.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 pm

It's hard to tell how something is going to come across on the internet. Anyway, here's my own experience, you'll have to figure out what is best for you.

When I started with Glocks in the early 90's I was enamored with every new doodad and gadget. I went through recoil springs, connectors, strikers, oversized mag releases, heavy guide rods, you name it. Invariably, these either did nothing, or worse, made the gun not work.

Somewhere along the way, I decided that I was simply going to learn to shoot the pistol using sight alignment, trigger press and follow through instead of relying on gizmos. I now shoot a basically stock G34 or G35 with the only mods being grip tape and sights. I've actually taken the oversized slide stop off most of my guns. While I'm no expert, I'm a much better shooter now than I was then.

If you shoot your gun for awhile, I believe that you can master the trigger without mods. The initial take-up, while long, isn't really a huge problem. The trigger reset on Glocks is actually pretty short so follow-up shots can be pretty fast. No Glock will ever match a tuned 1911 in this regard, but it isn't as much of a handicap as you might think.

Take all the above for what it's worth. My advice might not work for you, and we have other far more experienced shooters at the club that might tell you differently.;)

kfbagt wrote:your message is not preachy by the way. I am listening.

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Email me, kygunworks@hotmail.com or call me 606-232-1582.

The first question I am going to ask is how many rounds you have put through it?

Next I am going to ask you what you want it for, comp., carry, both?

Then like Scott said I may tell you to shoot it as is for 6 months then talk to me.

Most 34 / 35 have resonablly good triggers, especially once you have about 500 rounds through it.

Yes I can get what ever parts you want or need, most of the time cheaper than you can get them even with sales tax, but I will tell you what will get you buy the cheapest.

And yes Scott occasionally beats me as well as many others with his piece of Tupperwear.