New Toy

Talk about your guns and gear here
skoalsoldier

New Toy

Post by skoalsoldier » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:07 am

Alrighty so I've been home for 13 days and I just made my first gun purchase since bein home. I got me a nice used Springfield Champion:

I simply could not pass it up for $450, althought I couldn't get any extra mags at the time. I am having a problem though, and I think that it is caused by a faulty mag, I dunno. I'm not the most experienced 1911 person ever so troubleshooting is not my forte.

When I pull back the slide on a loaded mag and let it go, it starts to grab a shell, pushes it into the barrel a little and then stops. I checked the barrel for burrs or other defects and could see none. The ammo is Magtech hollows. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If nothin I can come up with fixes it then it will be back to the store for an exchange.

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:27 am

Welcome home, and thank you.

I've got my first 1911 on the way, so I don't have much experience in the arena either, but I have been reading a whole lot about them; and apparently a lot of them have issues with particular types of ammo, and I've read that they can be very specific problems, almost to the point of absurdity. Like one particular run of one particular ammo reacts badly with one particular type of magazine in a specific gun. It seems like there are a million anecdotes like that floating about the internet.

Does it cycle fmj's? I know that most Magtech rounds routinely fail to cycle in my XD, although it's an entirely different platform, of course. I'd try a couple different rounds and a couple different magazines before giving up on a cherry deal like that!
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

MRB

Post by MRB » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:28 am

Sounds like a real bad problem-I'll give you $100 for it right now.:D Seriously though, it does sound more like an ammo issue, although it could be the mag. Is the feed ramp polished?
If you can't get it to run by the 29th, bring it out to the match, and we can try some different mag/ammo combinations-I'll have ball ammo and Wilson mags with me, and probably some Federal hydra-shoks, which run in both my 5" guns (factory, unmodified Kimbers).
Skoal, brother!

P.S.:Even if you do have to do a little work to it, $450 was a steal.

skoalsoldier

Post by skoalsoldier » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:35 am

Hey guys thanks for kind of reaffirming my thoughts on an ammo or mag issue. I'm gonna try to pick up some different rounds from wally world today to do some testing and see if that works. And if that doesn't work then yeah I'd like to try some different mags to see if that is the case. I don't believe there is any problem with the weapon at all, it's just one of those mix-n-match and i'm-a-whiney-pistol type of things lol. And no the feed ramp isn't polished.

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 pm

I would say it is the crimp on some ammo. I know the ammo is factory. Does it do that with all of them or just a ocassionally. I really doubt that the barrell or ramp are gone. I would try a different type of ammo. I will bring some of my reloads to the match next Sat. u can give them a try.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 pm

If you look at the picture the round has started into the barrel, although at too steep an angle.

Get a good magazine, such as one of the new Wilson Elite Tactical Magazine. This is the best magazine I have ever seen and seems to work perfectly. Additionally the way they are made they seat very easy when loaded with 8 rounds,

It appears your magazine is releasing the round too early and it is starting up at too sharp an angle. The Wilsons and other good magazines, hold the round a bit longer and let it release on a more gentle angle.

You can get your magazines at Chuck Bradley's. http://WWW.SHOOTERSCONNECTION.COM By the way Chuck is an Ashland Gun Club member and a good guy, most of the time anyway:D

If that does not fix it, look at the extractor to see if it is too tight and not allowing the round to slide up the breach face.

One final look is the bolt face itself. I had one that was a little tight and needed to be opened up a bit. It only became a problem with used brass though, and would always work with new brass.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

skoalsoldier

Post by skoalsoldier » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Hey thanks guys. Like I said 1911s aren't my thing just yet lol. So I'm gonna try to get some fmj and another hp type of ammo tomorrow and try it. If that doesn't work then I'll try some more mags. I hate it when things don't work :mad:

skoalsoldier

Post by skoalsoldier » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:27 pm

So I finally found some 45 ammo at Borders. Got some Blazer and Wolf fmj, and both had the same problem. I didn't want to order any new mags just yet since I'm looking at employment situations right now lol. So I slightly modified the feed lips of my current 1911 mag and it works, so I now know that it is a mag problem. I'll have to get a couple Wilsons once I get some funds rolling in.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:00 pm

I have some Wilson 47D's, the standard Wilson Mag, that I would trade on a two for one basis for the new Wilson Extreme magazine in 45. That would put you in for about 16 dollars per magazine.

They have new springs and followers in them also, all 8 rounders.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

MRB

Post by MRB » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 am

skoalsoldier wrote:So I finally found some 45 ammo at Borders. Got some Blazer and Wolf fmj, and both had the same problem. I didn't want to order any new mags just yet since I'm looking at employment situations right now lol. So I slightly modified the feed lips of my current 1911 mag and it works, so I now know that it is a mag problem. I'll have to get a couple Wilsons once I get some funds rolling in.
My offer still stands-I'll have the Wilsons at the range Sunday if you want to try them, or you can meet me out there Saturday afternoon (I've got to set up a couple of stages), and you can try them then.

Skoal, brother! (that's probably before your time:D)