1911 sight picture question

Talk about your guns and gear here
hesedmedia

1911 sight picture question

Post by hesedmedia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm

So I picked up my first 1911 monday, and got it out to the range today. it functions flawlessly, and produces pretty tight groups, but I've got one gripe that I was wondering if someone might address.

On my XD, I'm used to the point of impact being about an inch above my front sight at 15 yards. Which makes things pretty easy when the targets get closer. However, on the 1911, with the Novak 3-dot sights, my point-of-impact is about 2 inches below the top of the front sight at 10 yards. which makes things significantly more difficult, especially if I want to slap the trigger any at all. I ended up actually putting the bottom of the third dot on a plane above the top of the rear dots. Is there any way to get these sights lower? there's no adjustment to be had, and I don't really wanna take to grinding off front sight material, but it might come down to that.

Any suggestions welcome!
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:28 pm

If your gun has a cut that the front sight sits in, you can install a shorter front sight.

One other thing to check is what bullet weight are you shooting and what velocity is it moving at?

A heavier and slower bullet will normally shoot a little higher than a lighter and faster bullet.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:23 pm

They're the standard 230 grain deals. I'll look at a shorter front sight, although height isn't usually something that's listed on them, is it? What about a taller rear sight?
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm

A taller sight will only push the front of the gun down farther and make it shoot even lower. Take a dial caliper and see how tall your front sight is. Then you can shop around for a shorter sight. Does your gun have a dovetale slot the sight sits in? If not you will need to have one milled in so you can change the sight.

Another possibility is to contact Novak's and ask them if they have a taller rear sight. that will serve the same purpose and let you keep your three dot sights.

Not trying to disparage you in anyway, but it might pay you to let someone else shoot the gun with your load. If it hits low for two or three shooters of reasonable ability, then it probably needs a new sight. However if it hits POA for everyone but you, then it might be a shooter problem.
Resistance is mandatory.

MRB

Post by MRB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:16 pm

If I may be so bold, you might also try blacking out the three dots. They can sometimes be deceptive, or at least that's my experience anyway. Gary's idea of having someone else shoot it is also good-never hurts to get a second opinion (or third, or fourth); it's helped me in the same situation in the past.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:39 pm

All of this is really, really good advice.:)

MRB wrote:If I may be so bold, you might also try blacking out the three dots. They can sometimes be deceptive, or at least that's my experience anyway. Gary's idea of having someone else shoot it is also good-never hurts to get a second opinion (or third, or fourth); it's helped me in the same situation in the past.

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:32 am

hesedmedia wrote:What about a taller rear sight?

Right, the taller rear sight is what I was getting at. Which I think I may have located at dawson precision. It's hard to get used to the the sight picture covering up your target after getting used to that 6 o'clock hold.

Hehe, no disparaging taken: I had a buddy try it, and I shot from a bench rest taking excruciating care and still have to hold high. DP has an adjustable rear to fit the novak cut, so that may be the ticket.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 am

Sorry I missed that part in the original posting.

Sounds like you are on the right path.
Resistance is mandatory.

DAVE

Post by DAVE » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm

You may want to file the front sight down a little at a time until it shoots where you want it to. That will eliminate the guesswork when ordering a new one. You may even get it where you want it, then file off the dot then spot drill and paint a new white dot.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Dave

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:47 am

I've taken off .060, and that just barely got the point of impact at the top of the front sight at 10 yds. I'm debating whether to take another .030 off, but I want to shoot it a couple of days before making more moves.

Here's a picture to make you gunsmiths cringe a little (the file was too slow): Image