Six shooter

Talk about your guns and gear here
Chillywig

Six shooter

Post by Chillywig » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Anyone have any first hand experience (Cptn Kirk) with revolvers and moon clips that hold 8 rounds. Is the thickness of the clip what provides all the grip or is there more to it than that? Im looking for 38 super info if possible. Can anyone think of a good reason to go with anything other than a C-More sight on top of a revolver???

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:22 am

I sent a message to my buddy who has a 38 super and much more knowledge than I have. I will let you know as soon as he replies.

Thanks

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Moonclips are very brass specific. For .38 super the best clips are Smith and Wesson or Hearthco... both are brass specific.....Remington make the most consistent rim size .38 super brass.......Trust me, I did the investigation....including talking to the techs at Starline.

As far as dots, I prefer C More, because they don't break......Tell him the new mounts are $50.....I am having them made cheaper now.

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:39 pm

What kind of mount are you talking about??? Thought weaver was the only option...

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:49 pm

If you see mine you will understand. I had a weaver and with the one now the Cmore lays flat on top of the revolver. I had to pay 80 bucks for mine. It is a good deal. You have to grind the screws down and fit the mount, but its really simple and is much better than the weaver.

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:13 am

I see shooterconnection has the Allchin Scope Mount for S&W. I guess this is what you are talking about. I've had a hell of a time seeing what others have done for open revolvers. There is lots of info out there on open auto's but nothing for revolvers. I guess your in the minority but I'm gonna be there with you.

As fas as moons, the gun came with a few S&W moons. I didn't pay any attention to the type of brass but it seemed to hold the bullets really tight. Brownells has 084-000-089 627M/.38 Super Moon Clips, 8 Rd., 5-Pak for 21.79. the one from TK are 69.99 for a ten pack. Wonder if its worth the 3 bucks extra per moon on the hearthco's???

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:32 pm

The mount is not sold in stores. The guy has them made. Take a look at mine. I will bring it to the AR match. I think that the Hearthcos are the best, but Mark says that it is brass dependent on the 38 supers. He would know I would trust him. He has not told me wrong yet.

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 am

I ordered the Allchin and C-more from shooters connection yesterday, they will be here today. I looked the brass I have in the moons. It was win brass and I can't imagine another clip holding it much tighter. I also have some RP nickle brass that seems a little loose but still droped in the gun effortlessly. Those rounds are loaded with a 125 fmj and the brass win loads are 121 zero HP's and I can see where the fmj's are going to make a big difference. All this ammo is loaded major for USPSA. I wonder how difficult it will be to eject all these hot loads once I have a moon full of empties?

I guess the next question is what's a good ICORE 38 super load?

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Thought you might like to see it.
Attachments
DSC05065.jpg