Olympic Arms?

Talk about your guns and gear here
slade797

Olympic Arms?

Post by slade797 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:20 am

Well, I'm going to join the dark side: I've started saving my pennies for an AR. I've even discussed it with the Better Half, and she agreed to buy something extravagant for xmas. See, this will offset whatever guilt and/or reprecussions that might develop from my purchase. Good plan, eh? Anyway, I can get an Olympic for very cheap, like about $600. I'm looking at the Plinker Plus, although I hate the name. I'd like to have a 16-inch barrel, regular round handguards, maybe a collapsible stock. Any of you AR weisenheimers have any input?
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

bcp307

Olympic Arms

Post by bcp307 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:16 pm

I have had several Olympic AR's over the past 20 plus years. You are "alot" better off putting a few more dollars with the 600 and getting a Rock River, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, Stag etc.
Some Olympic parts are not the same as the other brands, like the front sight post etc.

slade797

Post by slade797 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:53 pm

bcp307 wrote:I have had several Olympic AR's over the past 20 plus years. You are "alot" better off putting a few more dollars with the 600 and getting a Rock River, DPMS, Smith & Wesson, Stag etc.
Some Olympic parts are not the same as the other brands, like the front sight post etc.
Thanks for the input. I didn't know that they used non-standard parts, and they don't mention that anywhere on their website. I have also been looking at Bushmaster, Double Star, and, as you mention, DPMS.
"In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy .... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony."
- Harlan Ellison

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:27 pm

Olympic has had their share of problems through the years but they seem to be turning out a better product now.

However I agree with Steve.

If you have thoughts on building one, check Model 1, M&A or Garrison.

slade797

Post by slade797 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Gunworks wrote:Olympic has had their share of problems through the years but they seem to be turning out a better product now.

However I agree with Steve.

If you have thoughts on building one, check Model 1, M&A or Garrison.
Thank you. I've actually looked at the Model 1 kits, but the others you mention are new to me.
- Harlan Ellison

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 pm

There is a reason why the Oly is priced cheap.

Save your money and buy quality.
"The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."- Bob Lemon

slade797

Post by slade797 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm

bigdaddy wrote:There is a reason why the Oly is priced cheap.

Save your money and buy quality.
I thought it's because they just really, really care about people, and want everyone to have a quality rifle even if it means they lose money.... Damn, that sounds like something a limousine liberal would say. :D
- Harlan Ellison

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm going to agree with the above posts. I think you can spend a little more money and get a lot more rifle.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:49 pm

I know absolutely dick about ARs really........but those M&P 15s at Border's for 999 look pretty neat.
:confused:

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:51 pm

PM sent to Slade