Powder

Talk about your guns and gear here
Wheelgunner

Powder

Post by Wheelgunner » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I have been using Winchester WST. I always have and for no particular reason. I need a new kind of powder that is a little easier to find. Any suggestions on a powder to reload with that is easy to find. Cheap would not hurt too and of course clean, but just need some suggestions. I was talking to Charlie Brown about reloading and he mentioned a powder for .223 loads in a 650. Charlie what was the seceret brew. I gotta get stocked up for the season.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:26 pm

You didn't mention what calibre, but Clays works well in 40 and 45. The problem is almost anything to do with reloading is hard to find today. Normally WST is an easy find, I saw some Clays at Borders a week or so ago. Probably gone now.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

Wheelgunner

Post by Wheelgunner » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:42 am

I will be reloading 9mm, 38, and 45. Of course I dont use it with the .223 stuff. Hell I have no idea what so ever with the rifle. I think I hear people talking of Bullseye. How clean is the clays and how clean is the bullseye if anyone knows.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:50 am

Clays is very clean and would be good for the pistol cartridges. It is important though that you pay attention to what you are doing as Clays is a fast powder or in other words it burns quickly. You can get into trouble if you don't pay attention to the weight of the charge of powder.

Also there are different powders with the name Clays in them. Universal Clays, International Clays, and Clays. I am speaking of Clays. Important that you get the right powder.

For the 223 you need a rifle podwer, not a pistol powder. Start out with the pistol cartridges and learn the process. Then later on you can do the rifle if you need to.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

Chillywig

Post by Chillywig » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:18 pm

I've been doing the rifle reloading with a RCBS rock chucker. 308 221 and 22 hornet is all I've reloaded up to this point. All the seater dies were competition dies and have to be used in the single stage press because of the extended shell holder. I want to start reload 223 to possibly do some high power shooting this year and want to used one of my Dillon presses. Anyone have any experience on accuracy differences between progressive and single stage rifle reloading?

Rather-B-Huntin

Post by Rather-B-Huntin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Clays for pistols, Varget for rifles. I'll gamble a guess that those two powders will cover 90% of the cartridges you'll need to load for.ar

I load Clays in 9mm, .38, .40, and .45 with good results in all (I must mention that I load .40 Minor for Production. I have no need to load .40 Major and Clays may or may not get you there for that application).

I load Varget in rifles chambered from .223 to .375 H&H and .45-70. Damned if I can figure out why, but even in magnum cases not filled anywhere near capacity this stuff has always shown excellent accuracy and is very clean.

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:12 am

24.7 grains of H335 behind a 55 grain FMJ works great in .223. It has been great in every rifle I've tried it in, it is hot enough to be very realiable but not so hot to be hard on the rifle.

As far as 9mm I use Universal Clays.
"The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."- Bob Lemon

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:10 pm

40 Major with Clays needs to be loaded long.

Try Universal Clays, little slower and good for all pistol calibers.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 am

Wheelgunner wrote:I have been using Winchester WST. I always have and for no particular reason. I need a new kind of powder that is a little easier to find. Any suggestions on a powder to reload with that is easy to find. Cheap would not hurt too and of course clean, but just need some suggestions. I was talking to Charlie Brown about reloading and he mentioned a powder for .223 loads in a 650. Charlie what was the seceret brew. I gotta get stocked up for the season.

I'm not sure if you are open to ordering it, but Powder Valley shows WST in stock in up to 8lb bottles.