Suppressors

Talk about your guns and gear here
ChuckBradley

Suppressors

Post by ChuckBradley » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:47 pm

Opinions or suggestions on .223 Supressors. Want it as short as it can go. I am thinking barrel would need to be 10.5 to work. Is there an integral barrel & suppressor so only one tax stamp required. Want to get it done before the stamp goes to 5k.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:53 am

Chuck,

Only one company makes a can that they will warranty on barrels less that 10.5, and that is OPS Inc. You can weld any can to a short barrel, and make the 16" requirement. The problem with this is, .223 cans produce a lot of water, and you will probably want to take it off at the end of the day.

Your best bet, would be to order a spare upper for your SBR, and have it set up as a dedicated host. I would stay around 10.5 to 11.5 in length. I would also look at getting a Q/D can from OPS, AAC, or KAC.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm no expert, but I believe that all of the below is good information. I believe the problem with really short barrels is baffle strikes.

In addition to the below cans, Surefire suppressors seem reasonable well thought of. (I'm trying to pressure Robert into getting me one btw.)

Hairy78 wrote:Chuck,

Only one company makes a can that they will warranty on barrels less that 10.5, and that is OPS Inc. You can weld any can to a short barrel, and make the 16" requirement. The problem with this is, .223 cans produce a lot of water, and you will probably want to take it off at the end of the day.

Your best bet, would be to order a spare upper for your SBR, and have it set up as a dedicated host. I would stay around 10.5 to 11.5 in length. I would also look at getting a Q/D can from OPS, AAC, or KAC.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 pm

S Lance wrote: Surefire suppressors seem reasonable well thought of. (I'm trying to pressure Robert into getting me one btw.)

Have you seen the internals of the Surefire?

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:46 pm

Kool-Aid drinker!!!:p

I know there's a lot of disagreement about cans. You can tell me "I told you so" if/when I get one and blow out a baffle! I'd love to talk to you about it at the next match. In the meantime, I may wind up getting whatever can be obtained without waiting six months.

[quote="Hairy78"]Have you seen the internals of the Surefire?

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Fair enough. I love Grape Kool-aid, are you going to bring us a jug to the next match?

ChuckBradley

Post by ChuckBradley » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:53 pm

So how is this one in your opinions? Availability?
http://www.advanced-armament.com/m4_2000.asp

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:18 am

If cost was not an option, and I owned a full auto this would be one of my picks. My preference would probably be a SPR from AAC for this application. I have handled this can, and it is the shit. I myself purchased a M4-1000, because the cost was right. I just received this can on Monday, but you are welcome to shoot it this weekend. Availability is pretty sparse, last time I checked was before the election and availability was about 2 months. Then the election happened and AAC had the biggest order date in their history on Wednesday.

The reason I like the SPR over the M4-2000, is because of the amount of gas thrown back at the shooter. I own a can that meters quieter than anything AAC or Surefire makes, but the gases are overwelming on an AR. I have delegated this can to bolt action and Encore duty now.

I would also look at the YHM Phantom Q/D's. I will also have mine available if you want to demo it this weekend.

I have also spoke with SWR within the last couple of weeks and they have a neat project coming out. Their advantage is that their Q/D attaches to a regular A2 flash hider. The problem is, there is no promise date on delivery.

Fair warning, don't expect any 556 can to be silent. I would also be looking at .22LR cans. So far, I have 3 and for their silent assets, they are hard to beat.

Another thing you might look at is buying a Q/D .30 can. They will serve multi-duty on 556 and .30 caliber. These advantages include less gas on a .223, and one tax stamp that could be used on a G3, AR 15, or a 53, or even a 33. My YHM Phantom is 30 Cal due to these restraints. The only down-side to their use on .223 is there weight.

Anyway, if you are going to come to this months match, I will throw all of my cans and hosts in the car, and you are welcome to shoot anything I have.

Another can fanatic on this board is Charlie, he has never steered me wrong.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:21 am

$5K tax stamp?

Ouch! Might just have to get one of these.
:confused:

ChuckBradley

Yhm

Post by ChuckBradley » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:01 pm

So how are the Yankee Hill's. Much cheaper but are they any good?