Ordering gear this week, recommendations?

Talk about your guns and gear here
Black-X

Ordering gear this week, recommendations?

Post by Black-X » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm

I bought another HK USP 9mm and plan on running it hopefully on the 28th for USPSA. The pistol is basically a USP Combat Competition (jet funnel, 18rd white mags, Novak fiber optic sights). I'd like to buy the right gear the first time (buy once, cry once) so I'd like to know what you all recommend. If I can't get mag holders in time Robert (gunworks) has graciously offered to let me borrow some for the match. Thanks Robert!

So, if I want to get the right stuff the first time what should I get? I've been eyeballing a Bladetech DOH Dropped & Offset Holster w/Tek-Lok. I also noticed that single mag carriers are expensive! Looks like $30-ish a pop.. Should I get double mag holders or get it over with and get all singles? And how many? Last, I guess I need a belt. I have an old Uncle Mikes duty type belt but is it worth using? No idea on the belt part.

I really appreciate any help while I get a setup worked out.

Thanks!

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Blade-Tech DOH is about the best you can use for a gun like that.

CR Speed, Safariland 771 or 773s, or the new Speed Sec pouches that Shooters Connection has all work great. Alternatively, you can use double pouches from a handful of manufacturers...there's not a lot of difference between the two other than adjustability.

CR Speed belts are just the gold standard for shooting. You could literally put foot pegs on it and have someone climb on your belt and it won't come off.
:confused:

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 pm

I agree with Bigfoot that the DOH is a great non-race holster. The tek-loc system works fine although I prefer their Stingray attachment even though it isn't as adjustable. The Black Ice DOH holster looks pretty good too.

I think mag pouches are up to you. I prefer single pouches but it is largely a matter of personal preference.

If you want a good belt that will work in IDPA too (where the belt must go through your belt loops), check out the Wilderness System belts. These are the standard to which other "tactical" belts are compared. In my opinion, it is worth it to get one with the titanium hardware due to the substantial weight savings.

After having said all of that, you might consider just showing up with what you have before you buy a bunch of stuff. There will be a lot of different gear at the match and seeing it might make your decision easier.

btw, you need the ability to carry three spare mags on your belt. Two mags will almost always do, but occasionally a stage will require three reloads plus the starting magazine.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 pm

The CR belt is also good for IDPA...you use only the inner belt through your belt loops. I've seen several photos of people at IDPA indoor nationals that were using that belt and it was deemed acceptable.

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Bigfoot wrote:The CR belt is also good for IDPA...you use only the inner belt through your belt loops. I've seen several photos of people at IDPA indoor nationals that were using that belt and it was deemed acceptable.
Interesting. I have a hard time seeing how that could possibly be acceptable even given the generally weird and seemingly completely arbitrary "no gaming" attitude of IDPA.:confused: The rule pretty clearly states (or at least it used to) that the belt goes through the loops and can't be thicker than 5/16 inches. (My CR outer belt by itself is thicker than that.)

You learn something every day.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Inner belt, not outer.

There's nothing "normal" about those wilderness belts either. :D

Black-X

Post by Black-X » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Boys, thanks for the pointers. Looks like I might be on the right track and I may get some of this ordered tonight. I have a Bladetech holster (for use with my pistol with light attached) with the regular stingray attachment so I can steal it should I need to belt mount the holster instead of the DOH attachment.

Still can't decide on the mag carriers though. Singles seem like the way to go but I'll be looking at $90-$120+ for them. :eek:

S Lance
Forum Administrator

Post by S Lance » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Black-X wrote:Boys, thanks for the pointers. Looks like I might be on the right track and I may get some of this ordered tonight. I have a Bladetech holster (for use with my pistol with light attached) with the regular stingray attachment so I can steal it should I need to belt mount the holster instead of the DOH attachment.

Still can't decide on the mag carriers though. Singles seem like the way to go but I'll be looking at $90-$120+ for them. :eek:
If I'm not mistaken, the dropped and offset holsters can be ordered with either the stingray or tek-lok attachments, so it is your preference. I'm not sure if a flashlight is USPSA legal, but I'd give you style points if you use it.;)

MRB

Post by MRB » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:30 pm

For what it's worth, I like a combination of singles & doubles-one double, and you're set for IDPA, a double & one or two singles, and you're set for IPSC. Double goes at the hip, everything else behind.

Tech locks are cool, and work very well, but I also use the economical (cheap?) Uncle Mike's paddle mag pouches & holster for single stack. Works well and won't break the bank, BUT, you'll never go wrong with Bladetech.

Hope this helps.
Carbines rule-pistols suck in general!

Black-X

Post by Black-X » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:01 pm

S Lance wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the dropped and offset holsters can be ordered with either the stingray or tek-lok attachments, so it is your preference. I'm not sure if a flashlight is USPSA legal, but I'd give you style points if you use it.;)
lol Scott! No, I meant just steal the stingray attachment from my light holster and replace it on the other one as needed. :D I think it is held in place with 3 screws IIRC.

MRB, I've been leaning towards a double/2 singles or 2 doubles but I may go with the CR Speed Versa-Pouch 3 Pack for $99.95. I really appreciate the input.

Decisions, decisions. :confused: