XD or M&P

Talk about your guns and gear here
John F

XD or M&P

Post by John F » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Hello all. Thought id pick your brains for a minute. I'm purchasing a new pistol in the next month and want one for competition purposes. I personally like both the M&P and the XD and I can't make up my mind. As you guys know more about this than I which is better for competition?

creekerdoug

Post by creekerdoug » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:31 pm

If Glocks were not the finest fighting pistols on this planet and several others I suppose I could live could live pretty well with an M&P. M&Ps seem to run well and they have some nice aftermarket parts available. I've shot M&P and XDs and the XD just felt odd to me. Some of the guys I shoot 3gun with do very well with their M&Ps.

Why no love for the Glock?

Mitch
Forum Administrator

Post by Mitch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 am

I think most unbiased people would tell you that both can get the job done. Be sure you shoot both (and a Glock!) as much as possible before you make a decision and pick which ever you like the best.
--
- Mitchell Vincent

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:39 pm

creekerdoug wrote:If Glocks were not the finest fighting pistols on this planet and several others I suppose I could live could live pretty well with an M&P. M&Ps seem to run well and they have some nice aftermarket parts available. I've shot M&P and XDs and the XD just felt odd to me. Some of the guys I shoot 3gun with do very well with their M&Ps.

Why no love for the Glock?
LOL!! I knew I was gonna get the "why not Glock" question. I've owned both a Glock and a XD before. I loved how the XD felt and shot for me. The only problem I had was that I couldn't reliably get it to feed hp ammo. Now that was early on in my gun days and I didn't know about things like changing springs, polishing feed ramp and such. It was a used gun when I bought it so that could have been the problem. As far as the Glock goes......well I could have done better throwing it at someone. I couldn't hit myself with it. I don't know why really just not accurate for me at all. I haven't had any experience with the M&P though. Guess I need to get some before I make my decision.

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm

I think you have to be abnormal to shoot a Glock well.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind so I will just throw this out for consideration, what can you get mags for?

You will need at least 3 but 6 would be better.

Gary Stevens

Post by Gary Stevens » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 pm

I have both and shoot both. In all honesty the M&P is a bit rounder on the grip and fits my hand better.

The XDM 5.25 is a great gun, but it feels a bit blockey (if that is a word) in my hand.

My son has bigger hands and is shooting the XDM and doing well with it. I have settled on the M&P Pro as my Production gun.

This year though I'll be back to the 1911.
Resistance is mandatory.

To be loved and resptected is desireable. To be feared will work also.

John F

Post by John F » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:07 am

First thanks for the advice. From looking around on the net I don't know if ill be able to find either. Seems everyone is sold out of everything. Hopefully stock will be back up in couple weeks.

John F

Post by John F » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks again guys for the advice. I went with the XD 9mm. The M&P just didn't feel right to me when I held it and I have experience with the XD.

I can not wait to get out to a match and have some fun. I can't this weekend for the USPSA but I might be able to make the IDPA next weekend. That crazy thing called work gets in the way of my fun sometimes.

sickmak90

Post by sickmak90 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 am

Gunworks wrote:I think you have to be abnormal to shoot a Glock well.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind so I will just throw this out for consideration, what can you get mags for?

You will need at least 3 but 6 would be better.
You mean they make other pistols besides a Glock?

John F

Post by John F » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:38 pm

sickmak90 wrote:You mean they make other pistols besides a Glock?
Lol. For me there is. Can't shoot the Glock worth a crap. Maybe its the grip angle. I really don't know but I can shoot an XD pretty darn well.