First IDPA questions

New shooter discussion, questions and information here
hesedmedia

First IDPA questions

Post by hesedmedia » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:09 pm

Hey all, I've only shot with you guys a couple times, and both were USPSA's. I've got some friends coming with on the 8th, and was wondering if there were any major differences in the equipment we should bring. I've read the IDPA website, but didn't know if all the rules were the same at the club level. Are shoulder holsters out? I've never seen one used, but we might need to get a belt holster for one gent if they're outlaw. And we all need concealment jackets right? And how many magazines do they need?

oh and is there a division to fit a glock 10mm?
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm

I am far from an IDPA expert but I think they are not allowed.

Wlktheduk

Post by Wlktheduk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm

I'll try to answer some of the questions.

Shoulders holsters are NOT APPROVED/ALLOWED for IDPA matches. (per IDPA rule book, pg 34) A belt holster will be needed for your friends use. We're not real particular about the holsters, but it should not be of a USPSA open/limited/L-10 "competition" style, like a CR speed rig.

Concealment jackets: given the snow, I think we will all be wearing jackets/coats/parkas of some sort. The pistol must be holstered and concealed. So if you haven't drawn from concealment before, you might want to practice drawing and re-holstering, while wearing a jacket. (also practice reaching your spare magazines)

Spare magazines: a minimum of 3 (three) will be needed. 1 (one) loaded into the pistol, and 2 (two) spares for reloading purposes.

Glock 10MM pistol: It can be used in Stock Service Pistol/SSP (magazine loaded to division capacity of 10 rounds, plus 1 round in chamber) Most Glock shooters compete in SSP.
It can also be used in Enhanced Service Pistol/ESP (magazine loaded to division capacity of 10 rounds, plus 1 round in chamber) While most shooters in this division use 9MM/.40S&W 1911 style/Browning HP/CZ-75 etc carried cocked and locked, Glocks are legal in this division also.

Hopefully, the snow will let up enough that we'll see you on the 8th.
Viva La REVOlution!

hesedmedia

Post by hesedmedia » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks, I've practiced drawing from concealment a million times, but never getting at the mags. I'll have a practice day. And we'll find a belt holster, although one to fit that huge-framed glock may be a bit hard to locate.

Thanks for the help, guys.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Ghandi, famous gun nut