IDPA this upcoming weekend (10/28/09). Questions from a beginner.

New shooter discussion, questions and information here
MaverickH1

IDPA this upcoming weekend (10/28/09). Questions from a beginner.

Post by MaverickH1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm a college student at WVTech, and the upcoming IDPA contest was pointed out to me. I had a few questions regarding eligibility of myself and equipment.

I'll be shooting either an HK USP or P2000sk in 40 S&W. I've got the extra mags and such, but do not have a mag carrier. Another post in this forum said that the mag carrier wasn't really required... so a clarification that this is still the case would be appreciated. Can I stick the mags in my belt, or do they have to go into a pocket? How many rounds of ammo are needed?

Secondly, eligibility of myself. Not being a member of the club, am I allowed in? What fees are needed? That may be the crux of the whole thing for me. I have some 40 s&w 180 grain gold dots to trade for entry if needed :D

Hopefully weather will cooperate and I will be able to drive my motorcycle down. They expect 72 on Thursday... could be the start to a perfect weekend!

I need to get out and practice more, and this is a good way to do it.

ETA: The date is actually the 25th. My failure.

Bigfoot
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigfoot » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:36 pm

While a mag carrier is ideal, I'm sure someone here can facilitate something for you. If what you have are the same size as XD/Beretta mags, I could. Mags in the pockets won't be an issue if nothing can be found.

You'll probably need somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rounds for IDPA but if you have more, bring about 150.

Once through for IDPA is $10.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
:confused:

Gunworks

Post by Gunworks » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes non-members are welcome at matches.

Either pistol is allowed as well.

PM sent as well.

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Since everybody else has covered most of the shooting questions.

More importantly, what kind of bike do you ride? The road into our range is not very friendly towards sport bikes and big cruisers. It is gravel, and I cracked a CBR front fender on the last trip I took it to the range.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ F__ - Obama/Biden
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................

MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Thank you for the quick responses and the mag carrier offer. Unfortunately, Beretta and XD mags are a bit thinner than the P2000sk mags, and much thinner than the fat USP mags.

Thanks for the offer to help with directions as well, Gunworks. It looks like a pretty simple hop off of 64, taking 60 to 854, then following 854 for a short while and turning onto "Black Leg Road". Which was hard to find because the directions page (http://www.agcpd.com/directions.html) says to look for "Backleg Road". Either Google maps is off on the name or there was a typo. I will contact you if I need to, for sure.

Is one of these the range we will be using?

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 pm

The gravel oval in your pic, at about 10:30 is our range.

MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Hairy78 wrote:Since everybody else has covered most of the shooting questions.

More importantly, what kind of bike do you ride? The road into our range is not very friendly towards sport bikes and big cruisers. It is gravel, and I cracked a CBR front fender on the last trip I took it to the range.
No worries, there. I went for versatility over speed, comfort, and/or decibels.

Thanks for the warning, though.

How did you break a fender?

Hairy78

Post by Hairy78 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Nice KLR, I sometimes miss my dual sport. A rock some how got thrown up between the fender and front tire on the CBR. I suppose the rock was harder than the plastic fender.

I have since outgrown 2 wheelers on the street and moved on to 4 wheeled vehicles for fun. Still keep a garage full of dirt toys though.

scooterd

Post by scooterd » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:54 pm

we come from huntington, we get on interstate at 16th st/ hal greer, If you want we can hook up at bob evans or the gas station and you can follow us down. E-mail me at "scooterd69@aol.com"

MaverickH1

Post by MaverickH1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Ah, that'll do it. When I think of bikes breaking I think of good (and bad) stories involving the bike on its side.

The area I'm in currently is awesome for my recreational activities. There is a shooting range that is more or less my private range (yet it's public) 5 minutes away. Just beyond the range is a trail network that lets you drive on the ridge tops of all of the beautiful mountains in the area. It's awesome.

scooterd, I may take you up on that. Depending on weather, that is. From my ride yesterday, interstate is numbing for my hands at 40 degrees with rain. I might have to stick to lower speed roads if the weather hates me. If you don't mind going on slower roads in such conditions... then I'm definitely in!